Monday, September 29, 2008

The Dead Kennedy's


I'm going to say it was May or April? 1983, in New Hope at Club Zadar( stupid name,and a place not known for hardcore shows). Also playing this night was Philly's own Autistic Behavior. I don't remember who drove to the show ,again my friend Eric and I found someone that was going to drive ,so we were on board. Skated before the show in Allentown ,skated some banks until the transportation arrived. When we arrived Autistic Behavior started their set and the crowd was going nuts,stage diving and thrashing  all over the place.T-shirts and plaid shorts with high top vans was the official uniform for the skate rock set. Once the DK's started playing everyone was going fuckin nut's , covering  every song in their repertoire,lightening fast and on time. After the show we talked to Jello and the rest of the band about the show,he handed me a Minor Threat flyer and recommended that we check out their next show.(Brubaker from COS and the some of FOD were hangin out as well).
 I remember coming home when the sun was starting to rise and then having to go to school that same day. Didn't care I was so stoked from the show the night before. no pics just this autographed press photo Jello handed me. In  the following years the Dead Kennedy's were sort of marginalized due to their own success pretty much every poser had at least one of their records,but their contribution to hardcore cannot be denied. 
Check out the pictures of Jello's 50th birthday party playing with the Melvin's and The Drunk Injuns on Thrasher Magazines website, wish I could have been there.

No comments: